Purdue Lawrence County Extension Office
What is the Purdue Universiy Cooperative Extension Service?
The Cooperative Extension Service is one of the nation’s largest providers of scientific research-based information & education. It is a network of colleges, universities, & the U.S. Department of Agriculture that serves communities & counties across America. Our educators, specialists, & volunteers live & work in all 92 Indiana counties. We are the link between Land Grant university research & Indiana citizens, providing practical solutions to local issues. We provide information & expertise that’s available in the form you want, when you want it.
4-H Youth Development
MISSION: 4-H prepares young people to be leaders in their community & world through hands-on experiences alongside their peers & caring adults. Youth across Indiana can be involved in a 4-H program in different ways. A dedicated network of Extension educators, local leaders, & volunteer staff, makes Indiana 4-H one of the most valued youth programs in the state. Youth educators develop individual talents, life skills, & leadership abilities among Indiana’s young people through the traditional venue of 4-H clubs & county fairs, but also through field-tested school enrichment programs & local-led community programs.
Health and Human Sciences
MISSION: To provide education to people of all ages in Indiana's 92 counties. The community is our classroom – where we bring university information to the local level & help strengthen families, spend smart, eat right, & live well. Education on family, food, health, & money helps people & communities:
- Identify & meet needs of families - from babies to seniors - through collaboration & coalition-building with agencies, organizations, & educational groups
- Understand the relationship between nutrition, physical activity, the environment, & our health
- Deal with challenges of both parenting/caring for children & caring for elderly family members
- Acquire money management skills
- Be knowledgeable about safe food handling & preservation techniques
Nutrition Education Program
MISSION: To help limited-resource individuals & families make healthy food choices within a limited budget & be physically active.
- Community Wellness Coordinators collaborate with local partners to expand community options for healthy eating & physical activity using a policy, systems, & environmental approach
- NEP Assistants provide nutrition lessons in schools, community centers, & homes, improving individual knowledge & skills related to: balanced meal planning, food purchasing & preparation, food safety, & food resource management
AG & Natural Resources
MISSION: To provide a current source of research- based information, along with education & training assistance, to individuals & businesses with agricultural-related needs & interests.
- Educational linkage between community & Indiana agriculture
- A resource for lawn & garden questions
- Educational programs focusing on current interests to the community
- Cooperative programming with other community agriculture businesses
- Assisting individuals in the proper use of pesticides and environmentally safe measures
CDC Obesity Prevention
MISSION: To work with the community to identify & implement effective obesity-reduction strategies through improved nutrition & physical activity.
- Empower Live Well Lawrence County health coalition to promote evidence-based strategies to prevent obesity
- Increase opportunities for physical activity
- Promote healthy food choices
MISSION: To help communities resolve locally-determined issues by providing unbiased information & assistance, & to develop leadership potential.
- Strengthen communication of boards & councils
- Establish goal-setting & Enhance decision-making
- Resolve public issues
- Lesley Lodmell
- County Extension Director
4-H Youth Development Educator
- Ophelia Davis
- Agriculture & Natural Resources Educator
- Katie Zuber
- Health & Human Sciences Educator
- Rachel Beyer
- Community Wellness Coordinator
- JJ Goldsberry
- Nutrition Education Program Assistant
- Karin DuBois
- Healthy Community Champion
- Dashia Meadows
- Office Manager
- Tammy Dodds
- Office Assistant
- Gail Sipes
- Office Assistant