Lawrence County Commissioners
Indiana counties have three commissioners, one from each district. They are the custodians of the home rule powers of the county and have the authority to pass ordinances in the following areas:
- Controlling, maintaining, and supervising county property, including courthouses, jails, and public offices.
- Supervising construction and maintenence of roads, bridges and to provide for traffic control.
- Creating economic development programs to attract and retain jobs.
- Granting vacation pay, sick leave, paid holiday, and other similar benefits to county employees.
- Administering elections in conjunction with the county election board.
- Establishing minimum housing standards.
- Auditing and authorizing payments on behalf of the county.
- Incorporating new towns and altering town boundary lines, on petition.
- Receiving bids and authorizing contracts.
- Exercising appointive powers, including both the selection of members to fill positions on boards, commssions, and committees, as well as the appointment of certain department heads.
- Planning and implementing strategies for solid waste handling as members of solid waste district boards.
- Rodney Fish
- District 1
- Dustin Gabhart
- District 2
- Gene McCracken
- District 3
Locations: Lawrence County Courthouse, 916 15th Street
Commission meetings are held twice a month and are open to the public. See ourfor details.