Lawrence County Auditor
The Auditor is the principal financial officer in county government and is defined under IC 36-2-9-2 as the fiscal officer of the county.
The Auditor serves as a secretary to the Board of Commissioners, the Clerk to the County Council and must prepare and file an annual financial report with the State Board of Accounts.
The Auditor is responsible for:
- Keeping accounts and issuing checks for the county.
- Preparing tax duplicates that show the value of property and taxes assessed against each taxpayer.
- After property tax collection, the Auditor distributes funds to the governmental units and agencies for which they were collected.
- Preparing plats that show the ownership and assessed valuation of each parcel in each township in the county. (The plats must contain information prescribed by the Department of Local Government Finance and must be kept current).
- Developing financial analysis and cash flow projections and assisting with budget preparations.
Taxpayers must come into the Auditor’s Office to file Homestead Exemptions, Mortgage Exemptions and Veterans' Exemptions for their property taxes.
This years tax sale date will be September 13th in the Lawrence County Courthouse. More information will be posted at a later date.
For Transparency in government
View parcel data at
- Jody Edwards
- 1st Deputy
- Sarah Cummings
- 2nd Deputy
- Laura Cummings
- 2nd Deputy
- Patti Dorsett
- Payroll Bookkeeper
- Penny Cobb
- Martha Turner
- Part –Time Deputy
- Jill Smith
General Office: 812-275-3111
Location: Lawrence County Courthouse, 916 15th Street Room 28
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.