Lawrence County Recreation & Tourism
Parks and Recreation Highlights
Lawrence County is rich with natural wonders, from the hiking, biking and horse trails of theto the underground river of the :
- , located in Mitchell, features ample hiking trails, caves, campsites and a nature preserve. It also boasts an Inn and a restored Pioneer Village. From May to mid-October, period crafts from 1863 are demostrated in the village, which has 20 historic buildings, including a 3-story limestone gristmill that was built in 1817 and still grinds cornmeal.
- Lawrence County is home to five golf courses, including , a large municipal course with with a 6,300-yard par 73 layout, located in Bedford. There are several historical sites on the grounds, including Pine Hall Mansion, built in 1864, as well as limestone band shell, stone wall, and shelter house that were built by the WPA during the 1930s.
- Thrill-seekers can also find plenty to do in Lawrence County, including the off-road trails for motorcycles and ATVs at the and indoor racing at .
- History buffs who want to learn about Lawrence County's people, events and famous, high-quality limestone should visit the on Bedford's main square. The library has ample resources for people who wish to conduct geneological research.
- Lawrence County's most famous native son may be pioneering astronaut Virgil "Gis" Grissom, who was killed during a pre-launch test for the Apollo I mission in 1967. Born and raised in Mitchell, there is a memorial at Spring Mill State Park, a monument and his boyhood home is being renovated into .
- Ghost chasers and paranormal experts, including several from TV shows on HGTV, the Travel Channel and other national networks, have made a habit of visiting in Mitchell. Regular folks who enjoy being scared out of their wits seem to like it too.
- Built in 1884, the Willams Bridge that spans the White River in Spice Valley Township is one of the longest covered bridges in Indiana.
Arts and Entertainment
Performing arts lovers can find music and other events at theor the historic (built in 1906).
Located in Mitchell, the award-winningdraws wine connaisseurs from the area and the region.
Are you a stonecarving and architecture enthusiast? Visit sites throughout the stone belt in Lawrence County (and neighboring Monroe county) on the.
Visit the Lawrence County Tourism web site, , for more details and informaton.